Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are diagnosed today more than ever before: Autism currently affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys (Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism)
The cause of ASD is unknown. Most recent evidence suggests some combination of mitochondrial dysfunction, dysregulation of the immune system, inflammation, oxidative stress and inability to detoxify chemicals and contaminants in our environment are mechanisms at work in Autism. Some research supports the theory that that the metabolic dysfunction in the autistic brain renders it starved for oxygen. Brain cells with low oxygen do not function optimally.
HBOT significantly increases oxygen in brain tissue so
- cells absorb needed oxygen, inflammation is reduced and poorly functioning brain cells function better.
- HBOT improves blood flow and oxygen delivery to all tissues of the body promoting new tissue growth and more normal cell metabolism. This may be particularly helpful in promoting brain development and improving immune response in the child with ASD.
A controlled study using HBOT in children 2-7 years of age diagnosed with ASD demonstrated significant improvements in:
- Overall functioning
- Receptive language
- Social interaction
- Eye contact
- Sensory/cognitive awareness
Studies and reviews
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Alleviates Social Behavior Dysfunction and Neuroinflammation in a Mouse Model for Autism Spectrum Disorders
- A Review of Research Trends in Physiological Abnormalities in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Immune Dysregulation, Inflammation, Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Environmental Toxicant Exposures (pdf)
- Evidence of Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Autism and Implications for Treatment (pdf)
- U VA Health system– Presentation Daniel Rossignol; Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Autism (ppt)
- Diagnosis Autism Now What A Simplified Biomedical Approach (pdf)
- Hyperbaric Treatment for Children with Autism: A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Trial
- Novel and Emerging Treatments for Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Systematic Review (pdf)
- The effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on oxidative stress, inflammation, and symptoms in children with autism: an open-label pilot study
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Promotes neurogenesis: where do we stand?